Holy House of Mercy

Established by the first Bishop of Macau in 1569, this institution was modelled after one of the most prominent and oldest charitable organizations in Portugal, and was responsible for founding in Macau the first western-style medical clinic and several other social welfare structures that still function to this day. The building is neo-classical in the overall architectural treatment, but also depicts traces of mannerist influence.